Requirements for MNA Citizenship
To apply for citizenship with the MNA you must meet the requirements of the definition of Métis. The following documents are also required:
- A completed Genealogy (family tree) which clearly outlines your Métis ancestry dating back to the mid 1800s
- A copy of one of the following:
- Live Birth registration, OR
- Long Form Birth Certificate showing full names of biological parents, OR
- Wallet-sized birth certificate PLUS a copy of baptismal certificate with legible church seal and officiates signature
- One (1) piece of valid photo identification
- Proof of permanent residency in Alberta for a minimum of 90 consecutive days may be required. Documents accepted:
- Alberta driver’s license
- Three (3) months of utility bills, NOT including telephone
- Vehicle insurance
- Mortgage or rental lease agreement
**Additional documents or information may be requested in support of your application. It is your responsibility to keep your contact information current.**
You may download and print an application form for your Métis Nation of Alberta citizenship by clicking on the appropriate link below.
Once completed, the application can be mailed in or delivered in person to either the regional offices or the Head Office in Edmonton, as Registry requires original signatures in order to process the application.
Please use the application package below:
New MNA Citizenship Cards
in 2006, the Métis Nation of Alberta issued new citizenship cards to replace the existing plastic laminated ‘red and white’ cards. New citizenship cards were NOT automatically issued to holders of the old ‘red and white’ card. To receive a new card, citizens must contact the regional or provincial registry offices to ensure that all necessary documentation is on file to prove the card holder meets the criteria for citizenship.
The new citizenship cards contain security features that effectively remove the possibility of illegal duplication. Bar codes on the cards link to a state of the art information database containing personal and genealogical information that guarantee the holder of the card is Métis and is eligible for Aboriginal rights under section 35 of the Constitution Act (1982).
For more information or to mail a completed application and consent form:
Métis Nation of Alberta
#100 Delia Gray Building,
11738 Kingsway Ave,
Edmonton, AB T5G 0X5
Tel: (780) 455-2200
Toll Free: 1-866-678-7888